Cinematic Reviews is hosting a blogathon in which each participating blog answers twenty pre-set film-related questions. Even though I’ve already done two blogathon posts already this week, I’m still not tired of them yet. If you would like to join in on the fun, post your replies to these questions on your blog and link back to the host. Here are my answers:
1. What’s your favorite movie?
No Country for Old Men
2. Least favorite movie?
Red Riding Hood
3. Name one movie you loved upon initial viewing but eventually grew to hate (or vice-versa).
I hated Vertigo and 2001: A Space Odyssey when I was a kid. I love them both tremendously now.
4. Name your biggest “guilty pleasure” film.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
5. Favorite quote from a favorite actor/actress (must be a line from a movie)?
“Are you talkin’ to me?” -De Niro in Taxi Driver
6. Favorite quote from a favorite actor/actress (must NOT be a line from a movie)?
“Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.” -James Dean
7. Three favorite movie scenes?
The speech in The Great Dictator
The bar scene in The Shining
“Luke, I am your father!” –The Empire Strikes Back
8. Four films that should NOT have won Best Picture?
Shakespeare in Love (replace with The Thin Red Line)
Kramer vs. Kramer (replace with Apocalypse Now)
Rocky (replace with Network (or Taxi Driver (or All the President’s Men)))
Hamlet (replace with The Red Shoes)
9. Top five of the year (currently)?
Beasts of the Southern Wild
The Dark Knight Rises
The Amazing Spiderman
La Luna (The short film before Brave. Does that count?)
10. Bottom three of the year (currently)?
I try to avoid seeing bad movies in theaters, so my bottom three consists of movies that are actually decent. But they’re still my least favorite of what I’ve seen thus far:
The Three Stooges
11. What film gets your vote for the worst or most pointless remake?
Gus van Sant’s Psycho. Why would you even attempt to remake Hitchcock!?
12. Is there any film you think is actually desperate for a remake?
Marty is a good movie, but I’d like to see it remade.
13. Name your three favorite film heroes.
Elwood P. Dowd (Harvey)
Batman/Bruce Wayne (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises)
Terry Malloy (On the Waterfront)
14. Name your three favorite film villains.
The Joker (The Dark Knight)
Darth Vader (The original Star Wars trilogy)
Anton Chigurh (No Country for Old Men)
15. Best sequel?
The Dark Knight
16. Worst sequel?
Ace Venture: When Nature Calls
17. Best trilogy?
The Dark Knight trilogy, the original Star Wars trilogy, and the Godfather trilogy.
18. Worst trilogy?
If I don’t like the first or second movies, I probably won’t watch the third one. Though I like one of the installments in the series, the other two are OK, so I’d have to say that the Spiderman trilogy is the worst that I have seen. I know that there are worse ones out there.
19. What’s your favorite word to use in a movie review (if your film blog does not feature reviews, substitute “review” with “-related post”?)
I love writing about a film that is a “masterpiece.” I try not to use the word too much though.
20. Anything else?
(On question 8) I actually like Kramer vs. Kramer, but Apocalypse Now is just such a… masterpiece. 🙂